Biokinetics, description of field
A Biokineticist is a trained professional who specialises in final phase rehabilitation for a variety of conditions.
These conditions include rehabilitation for:
- Special populations with special needs such as diabetes, cancers, cerebral palsy etc.
The primary function is to improve physical functioning and health care through exercise as modality. This is achieved by conditioning individuals according to their needs by means of a scientifically based physical activity program. However Biokinetics is not limited to the list above, it is also concerned with promoting health both in work environments and at home, as well as the maintenance of physical abilities
A Biokineticist is a clinical exercise specialist who:
- Functions within professional alliance to health and medicine, and is recognised by and registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
- Improves a person’s physical wellbeing and quality of life through individualised scientific assessment and the prescription of exercise in rehabilitative treatment to prevent or intervene with certain ailments and the enhancement of performance (sport and work).
- Evaluates & Measures: body posture, body composition, blood pressure, glucose levels, lung function, heart rate, fitness, muscle strength, endurance, power, flexibility and other health screenings.
- Is a health professional who through health promotion and wellness create a better quality of life for people they work with